Servings : Makes 15-20
Crunchy sweet spirals dipped in sugar syrup, adding sweetness and moistness to the crunch!
Recipe courtesy of Fati Naz.
Ingredients for Jalebis
- 1 cup plain/all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. cardamom powder
- 1 tsp. instant yeast
- 2 tsp. corn flour
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. plain yoghurt
- 3/4 cup warm water
Ingredients for Syrup
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom powder
1. In a mixing bowl, add Plain Flour, Cardamom Powder, Instant Yeast and Corn Flour. Mix thoroughly.
2. Add Oil, Yogurt and Water and mix well until there are no lumps.
3. In a larger bowl or pot, add very warm water and place the mixing bowl with the batter inside the larger bowl (be sure that the water does not fall into the batter). Cover the larger bowl and allow the batter to rest for 30 minutes.
4. After the batter has been resting for 15 minutes, start on the syrup and start to pre-heat oil for frying the jalebi.
5. Syrup: In a heavy bottom pan, add Water, Sugar and Saffron. Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat
6. Reduce flame to a low simmer and add Cardamom Powder and Lemon Juice. and mix.
7. Mix the fermented jalebi batter well and put it in a ketchup or mustard bottle with a spout (zipper bag or piping bag can be used).
8. Squeeze out the batter into the hot oil in approximately 8 small circular motions. Jalebi should about 2-3 inches in diameter.
9. Fry until the bottom side looks golden and flip once to cook the other side.
10. With tongs, remove jalebi, shake off excess oil and place directly into sugar syrup.
11. Allow jalebi to remain in the syrup for just a minute (flipping to coat both sides), shake off excess sugar syrup and place onto a plate.
12. Continue frying remaining jalebies.
13. Enjoy them hot for optimal taste or allow them to cool and store in a container with a tight fitting lid. Jalebies will remain fresh for 4-5 days unrefrigerated.
About mid way through the frying process, turn off the stove for the sugar syrup so that it does not become too thick.