Servings : Makes 1 loaf
Here’s a twist to the banana bread, incorporating chocolate flavour with the delicious crunchy-ness of chopped nuts. I prefer walnuts for this cake, but any nut will do.
- 3 ripe bananas (medium sized)
- 1 1/4 cups plain/all purpose flour (150g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (30g)
- 3/4 cup sugar (150g)
- 1/4 tsp coffee powder (optional)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup melted butter (75g)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (approximately 30g)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (around 30 to 40g)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 175C and line a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
Sift flour with cocoa and coffee powder.
Dust the crushed nuts and chocolate chips with 1 tbsp flour (to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake) and set aside.
Peel bananas and mash them with a fork in a large mixing bowl. Add the melted butter and mix. Next add the egg, sugar and vanilla. Sprinkle salt, baking soda and baking powder over the mixture and stir them in. Add flour, walnuts and chocolate chips last and mix till JUST incorporated. Do not over mix.
Pour into greased pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.