Servings : Serves 2
This is super healthy, highly nutritious and very filling breakfast idea. It literally takes all of 5 minutes to prepare and can be customised to suit your day-to-day preferences by adjusting flavourings and toppings. The best thing about this is that you can refrigerate the base for up to 5 days, making it a stress free customisable perfect breakfast that is ready and waiting all week long.
Ingredients for Oatmeal Base
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk of your choice (whole, skimmed, low fat, almond, cashew, coconut..etc)
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener of choice (honey, maple syrup, brown sugar..etc)
- 2-4 tbsp yoghurt (optional, makes it more creamy)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- pinch of salt
Options for Toppings
- chopped fresh fruits like apple, banana, mango, pineapple or berries etc
- nuts and/or seeds
- jam and/or nut butter
- miniature dark chocolate chips or nutella
- crushed flax seeds
- dried fruits
- desiccated coconut
For this recipe you will need plain old fashioned rolled oats, NOT quick oats as quick oats will get too soggy very quickly.
In a clear bowl, add the base ingredients and stir very well to ensure everything is fully incorporated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight.
When ready to serve, give the base mixture a really good stir. If you find it too thick, you can loosen it up by adding a splash of milk. If you do not like cold food in the morning, microwave it for about a minute.
Now get to customising your toppings. Add whichever toppings you like. In this instance I have used my favourite combination, fresh pineapple chunks and a pinch of unsweetened desiccated coconut, plus a small sprinkling of seeds (pumpkin, sunflower and flax) for the added crunch and extra nutrients. And serve!
Oats are protein rich and are a great source of fibre. They’re high in antioxidants and help you lose weight by making you feel full and slowing down the emptying of your stomach.