Servings : Serves 2-3
A version of popcorn chicken using breadcrumbs as a coating (as opposed to the coating I used for my popcorn prawns which were coated with a flour mixture).
- 250gm boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- a pinch of tandoori masala
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic paste
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs (mixed with quarter tsp. salt and pinch of pepper)
- 1 egg (beaten well with 1 tsp. water)
First, marinate the chicken cubes for half an hour in the ingredients mentioned in the first ingredients list.
Prepare 3 plates, one with the self-rising flour, the second with breadcrumbs and the third with the beaten egg.
One cube at a time, roll the chicken in the flour, then dip them in the egg, then roll them in the breadcrumbs with a gentle hand. This normally can get messy but once you get going, it doesn't take long. Finish dipping and rolling all the pieces and set them on a tray or plate.
Heat oil in a pan and deep fry them in batches at medium heat until golden and crispy. Do not over-fry as boneless chicken hardens if over-cooked.
Drain on tissues/kitchen towels. Serve with fries and a dip!! 🙂