Servings : Serves 2-3
These deliciously saucy fish fillets have been served with Kidney Beans on Rice.
- 250 gm fish fillet of your choice, cut into pieces (marinate the fish pieces for at least an hour in a quarter tsp each of salt, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin powder and lemon juice by forming a paste out of the ingredients and slathering it all over the fillets)
- 2 spring onions, chopped into very tiny pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 2 fresh tomatoes, finely chopped, grated or blended
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- chopped coriander for garnishing
Heat some oil in a pan and shallow fry the fish fillets for about 2-3 minutes per side, just until the fish is solid and holds its shape but not fully cooked. Set aside.
Heat the 2-3 tbsp of oil, add the ginger and garlic followed by the spring and red onions. Fry until the onions are soft and translucent, then add the chopped tomatoes. Stir fry until the tomatoes are soft and mushy, then add the green chilli, tomato paste and turmeric/cumin spices. Add some salt, but with caution because the fish was already marinated with some salt so use sparingly. 🙂
Let these cook on low heat until the mixture is about done and oil begins to release around the sides. Add a bit of water if you prefer a 'saucier' sauce, let it simmer a bit then add the fried fish pieces. Keep the heat on low and cover your pan, let this steam for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is stuck all over your lovely fish.
Garnish with coriander and serve as preferred!