Servings : Serves 2-3
As simple as it is satisfying, fish and chips is classic English street food. Battered fish that is deep fried, a side of yummy chips that are sprinkled with some salt and a bit of vinegar, and an accompaniment of Tartar Sauce….a wonderfully delicious meal!
Ingredients for Fried Fish
- 250 gm fish fillet, cut into thick strips (marinate the pieces in half tsp. each of salt, pepper, chili powder and a squeeze of lemon for about an hour)
- 3/4 cup all purpose/plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic paste
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tsp oil
- 3/4 cup water (you may need to start with half a cup then add the rest if you find the batter is still too stiff)
- 1/4 cup each of corn flour and all purpose/plain flour (for dredging/coating the fish fillets)
Ingredients for Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cucumber, grated and moisture squeezed out
- 1 tbsp finely minced onion
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- chopped fresh dill or parsley or coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl. Make a well in the middle, then add the pepper, garlic paste, egg yolk (not the egg white) and oil. Add in the water and whisk well until smooth. Rest the batter for about 30 minutes before you use it.
When ready to start frying, whip the reserved room temperature egg white until stiff peaks form. Gently, fold it into the batter using a spatula.
Dip the fish pieces in the dredging flour to coat both sides, shake off the excess, then dip into the batter and fry in hot oil until golden from both sides. Remove and drain on kitchen towels and then store in a warm oven (around 90 C) until all are done and ready to serve. This will keep them warm and crispy.
This can be prepared hours ahead of time, or even from the day before
In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, cucumber and minced onion. Stir in lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then mix in the chopped herbs. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
You can find the Fries recipe HERE. Serve them with a sprinkle of salt, pepper and a splash of vinegar.