Servings : Serves 3-4
A flavourful Indo-Chinese inspired dish that is easy to prepare and goes beautifully with steamed rice.
Ingredients for Marinade
- 500 gm fish fillet, cut into small cubes
- juice of half a lime
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
Ingredients for Batter
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- pinch of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp red red chilli powder (reduce or omit for less spicy results)
- 1 tsp red paprika powder (or a pinch of red food colouring)
- water as needed (about a quarter cup)
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped into cubes
- 1 large capsicum/bell pepper, chopped into cubes
- 2 chopped spring onions
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp ketchup or chilli sauce
- 2 tsp tomato paste/puree
- 1 inch piece freshly grated ginger
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced or grated finely
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup water or stock (for more gravy use 1 cup)
- 2 tsp corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp water to form a thin/runny paste
- 2 green or red chillies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- salt to taste
- some spring onion greens for garnishing
Clean and cube the fish, then marinate it with the marinade ingredients for 15-30 minutes.
Next, make the batter by mixing all the batter ingredients together and whisking well. Dip the fish cubes into the batter to coat each piece well and fry in hot oil until crispy. Drain and set aside.
Then prepare the sauce. Heat oil in a pan, add onion and spring onions, ginger and garlic, chopped chillies and the capsicum. Stir fry on high heat for a couple of minutes until aromatic, lower the heat and then add soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ketchup or chilli sauce, tomato paste and the stock or water. Add the black pepper and season with a pinch or two of salt. Add the corn flour paste and keep stirring over low heat until the sauce thickens slightly. Add the fried fish pieces and stir well. Taste and adjust easoning if needed.
Garnish with reserved spring onion greens and serve immediately with a side of steamed rice.