Servings : Serve 2-3
The beauty of this salad is that it is colourful and is served warm, making it the perfect salad for cold weather or as a light lunch. I have used Orzo pasta (which are shaped like rice grains) but any small pasta will work in this bright salad.
- 1 cup orzo pasta (or any small pasta)
- 2 tbsp. oil
- juice of 1 lemon (2 tbsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 small carrot, diced and boiled
- 2 tbsp. sweetcorn
- 1/4 cup green peas, boiled
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers/capsicum (I used red and green)
- 1 chicken breast, cubed and boiled
- 2 tbsp. chopped coriander
- 1 chopped chilli
Boil and drain the pasta as per packet directions.
Warm up the oil, add the onions and garlic paste. fry until they sweat, then add the cubed capsicum, peas, sweetcorn, carrots, and chicken cubes. Sprinkle the salt and pepper. You can sprinkle some coriander, cumin or turmeric powder at this point if you like. Cook until the capsicum cubes soften slightly. Then add the green chilli, lemon juice and boiled pasta. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasoning if needed. Sprinkle the chopped coriander and turn off the heat.
You can omit the chicken if you want, or substitute it with cubed boiled egg.
Serve warm salad, although it also tastes great cold. You can drizzle some ketchup or tomato sauce over it if you like.