Servings : Serves 2-3
One of those super easy, really tasty meals that you can put together with minimum fuss and ingredients. Rice and sausage go really well together, and the best thing is you get to use up any leftover cooked rice to prep this recipe.
- 4 cups pre-cooked plain rice (white or brown rice)
- 2 raw sausages of your choice, sliced into coins (partially freeze them and then use a sharp knife for clean cuts)
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 capsicum, cut into small bits (optional, alternatively you can use boiled peas or grated carrots or any veg that you prefer)
- 1/4 tsp garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder (optional)
- 1 tsp tomato paste (optional for a deeper colour to the rice)
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes (optional for some extra heat)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce/ketchup
- 1 tbsp vinegar
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add the sausage slices and cook until golden brown on both sides. Remove them onto a plate.
There should be enough residual oil in the pan from cooking the sausages, but if not then add 1 more tbsp of oil. Add the onions and saute until softened and translucent. Then add the capsicum pieces, cumin powder, tomato paste, red chilli flakes and garlic paste. Stir fry until the capsicum are slightly softened.
Add the rice and drizzle in the tomato sauce, soy sauce and vinegar. Gently mix until everything is well combined then add back in the sausage slices and stir them in.
Drizzle a splash of water (about 2 tbsp) onto the rice, cover with a tight lid and put the pan on low heat to steam for about 5-10 minutes just to allow all the flavours to infuse properly into each other. Garnish with a bit of fresh coriander/cilantro if you have it and serve with a side salad.