Servings : Makes 1.5 cups
This creamy green sauce goes beautifully well with just about any dish. I sometimes thin it out and use as a dressing for my salads, or leave it thick and drizzle it over roasted chicken, fish, meats, mashed potatoes, even fried chicken! It's also a great dipping sauce for veggies, fries, chips/crisps, pakoras and samosas. I've been known to have spoonfuls of it every now and then, pure deliciousness!
- 1 bunch cilantro, cleaned and chopped roughly
- 2 limes, freshly juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 jalapenos or green chillies (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup fresh plain thick yoghurt (or quarter to half of an avocado)
- 3 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp sugar or honey
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder (optional)
Combine the cilantro, garlic, lime juice, salt, sugar, jalapenos, cumin and yoghurt or avocado in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. With the motor still running, slowly drizzle in the oil until combined. If you plan on using this as a dressing, add some cold water a tablespoon at a time to thin it out to the required consistency. Otherwise leave it thick enough for dipping into. Taste and adjust if need be.
Chill for at least 10 minutes so that the flavours develop before using.