Servings : Makes 2 1/2 cups
If you love a great, slightly sticky, sweet and spicy sauce on your meat cuts, grilled chicken (like THIS), ribs, wings or as a dipping sauce then this is the one for you! This is my signature BBQ sauce and it is easy to make and incredibly flavourful, way better than any old store-bought version could ever be!
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced or grated
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1 heaped tsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2-3 tbsp brown sugar (depending on the sweetness of the pineapple)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup crushed pineapple (with juice)
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 red chillies - or 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp red chilli powder or cayenne powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce (or any steak sauce like HP)
- juice of half a lime
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil and then add the chopped onion and saute until they begin to soften. Then add the ginger, garlic and chopped red chilli. Stir these in for a couple of minutes until fragrant, then add all the remaining ingredients. Stir well and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Allow the sauce to cool down then blend it for a smoother consistency either using a regular blender or an immersion/stick blender. Use as needed.
Assalamun Aleykum. I pray you and your family are well and safe. I would like to know if I can use tinned pineapples. Jazakallah