Shawarmas are a family favourite. I personally prefer making the easier chicken shawarmas (recipe HERE) but at times we opt for the tastier beef ones.
- 1 kg beef steak, cut into cubes
- 1 heaped tbsp. ginger paste
- 1 heaped tbsp. garlic paste
- 2-3 tbsp. grated raw papaya
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder (more for hotter flavor)
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 tbsp. tamarind paste or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp curry powder or tandoori masala (whichever flavor you prefer)
Mix all the ingredients well, and then marinate the beef in it preferably overnight for the meat to tenderize.
Skewer the meat on bbq sticks, and cook over a hot grill or using an oven broiler until tender. You can brush a bit of oil during the cooking process so that the meat doesn’t dry out.
Remove from the skewers and chop into little pieces, mix with salad, grated cucumber, sliced onions, grated carrots, a bit of mayonnaise, some red chili sauce or tamarind sauce. You can add any other dip/sauce of your preference, but I like keeping it simple for the best flavor.
Slit open each pita and stuff it with the mixture. Serve with fries and a cold drink, or simply as it is! Enjoy. 🙂