Servings : Makes 3-4 cups
An easy yet delicious spicy filling that can be used in pastries, buns or sandwiches.
Ingredients for Marinade
- 500 gm boneless chicken, cut into small cubes (breast or thigh)
- 1/2 a big red capsicum/bell pepper
- 1-3 birds eye or fresh red chillies (adjust to spice level preference)
- 2 tbsp veg or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp brown vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp red or orange food colouring (optional)
- juice of half a lime
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 big green capsicum, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 a big red capsicum, cut into small cubes
- pinch of salt (or as needed)
Put the boneless chicken cubes in a bowl. Blend all the other MARINADE ingredients and pour the mixture on to the chicken cubes. Mix well and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight in the fridge.
When ready to cook the filling, heat the 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the chopped onions and spring onions, allow to cook whilst stirring until softened. Add the chopped capsicum/bell pepper plus a pinch of salt and stir fry for a few minutes. Then add the chicken cubes along with their marinade. Stir over high heat for a couple of minutes, then turn the heat down to low. Cover the pan and allow the chicken to cook until tender, approximately 10-15 minutes. If there is a lot of extra moisture left over, increase the heat for a while to dry it up. Taste and adjust salt if needed. Allow the mixture to cool and then shred using the edge of a wooden spoon. You can smoke the filling for a couple of minutesif you want it to have a BBQ aroma.
This mixture can be used immediately as a filling for buns, pastries, sandwiches or frozen until needed.