Servings : Serves 3-4
This beautifully bright and sunny grilled chicken gets its vivid colour and delicious flavour from turmeric powder, one of the healthiest spices.
- 500 gm boneless chicken, cut into cubes (you can use breast or thigh meat, or a combination of both)
- 1/4 cup plain thick yoghurt
- 2 tbsp coriander stems, chopped (reserve the leaves for garnishing)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 red chillies
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder or flakes
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp lemon or lime, freshly juiced
- pinch of saffron strands (optional)
Clean the chicken and pat them dry. Blend all the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken cubes, mix well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight for best results.
Remove the chicken an hour prior to grilling so that it comes close to room temperature. Thread the chicken cubes onto skewers (if you are using wooden skewers make sure to soak them in water for 20 minutes before threading the chicken to prevent them from burning).
Grill for about 4-5 minutes per side or until the chicken is slightly charred and cooked through.
Serve the chicken with a salad and pita bread or over rice and some bright and sunny mango sauce on the side.