Servings : Serves 2
This is fast becoming one of my fave quick-fix breakfast meals. A hearty breakfast option that makes use of leftover white or brown rice. What is great about this recipe is that it is so easy to put together, perfect for when you need the extra boost on those super-active days or chilly mornings.
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice (I usually prefer making this with brown rice)
- 2 cups milk (whole, skimmed or almond)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- pinch of cinnamon OR nutmeg
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, honey, sugar or sweetener (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp chopped toasted nuts
- 2 tbsp raisins or chopped dates
Combine the rice, milk, vanilla and maple syrup (or sweetener of choice) in a pan and bring to a simmer over medium low heat. Stir for about 5 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Turn off the heat and add in the vanilla and cinnamon/nutmeg. Stir them in.
Divide between two bowls and top with the chopped nuts and dried fruits. You can also use chia seeds, flaxseed, fresh berries, chopped bananas, coconut flakes…whatever you normally like over your oatmeal.