Servings : Serves 2-3
My absolute absolute favourite way to have these beans! They taste rich and delicious and go sooo beautifully with chapatis/parathas or mandazi/mahamri. They even taste fantastic over rice or with simple plain bread!!
- 1 cup kidney beans, washed then soaked overnight
- 2-3 cups coconut milk (use extra if you want it more saucy)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander for garnishing
- 1-2 green chillies (can be increased or omitted according to taste)
Boil the soaked kidney beans until almost tender, then drain and discard the water (or use it in soups, very nutritious).
Heat oil in a pan, add the onions and fry until softened. Next add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, green chillies, spices and salt. Cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes are softened. Then add the kidney beans and give them a stir so they are coated with the spicy tomato mixture. Next, add the coconut milk and simmer on low heat, giving an occasional stir every now and then for about 10 minutes. If it feels too dry, add some warm water and mix.
Adjust salt/chilli and garnish with coriander, serve! 🙂