Servings : Serves 2-3
One of my absolute favourite Lebanese potato dishes, the name translates to ‘Spicy Potatoes’. This veggie dish works great as a side to grilled meats or part of a wrap along with some salad and garlic sauce.
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into medium sized cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander or parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- veg oil for deep frying
Deep fry the potato cubes in vegetable oil until golden. Remove on to paper towels to drain off excess oil.
If you are averse to deep frying, you can toss the potato cubes in 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and then spread them out on a tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for about 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through before proceeding with the rest of the recipe.
In a pan, heat the olive oil and add the chopped onion, minced garlic, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and chopped fresh coriander. Saute for a little while and then add the fried potato cubes, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Mix well. Then add the lime juice and stir it in right before serving.