Servings : Serves 4
One of the healthiest, heartiest, tastiest soups I’ve ever had!
- 1-2 pieces of chicken, uncooked (I prefer dark meat for my soups, like thigh or drumstick...gives so much more flavour)
- 6 cups water
- 20 sticks of spaghetti
- 4 heaped tbsp quick oats
- 2 heaped tbsp any good quality cream of vegetable powder like Knorr (the ones that come in a sachet)
- 5-6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of half a lemon (more if you like your soups more lemony)
- 1 green chilli, chopped for added spice
Put your chicken into a pan, add the water, quick oats, salt, peppercorns and garlic paste. break the spaghetti sticks to about 3 inch pieces and add them in. Simmer this gently over low heat, giving the chicken time to cook and the oats to thicken.
Half-way through the cooking (about 8 minutes) mix the Knorr cream of veg with a bit of water and add it in, stirring to combine.
Once the chicken feels done, remove it, let it cool slightly and then shred the meat off the bones. Discard the bones and put the chicken meat back into the pot. Add your green chillies if you’re using them and continue simmering for about 10 more minutes.
Finally, taste and adjust salt and sprinkle some pepper if you like. Then add the lemon juice, give it a stir and switch off.
Serve with toast!