Servings : Serves 3-4
This crispy and fun little snack is made up of strips of tender flavourful chicken, covered in crunchy cut-up samosa wraps. It is one dish that kids absolutely love, and makes for a rather interesting iftar starter or lunch-box filler.
- 500 g boneless chicken breast, cut up into strips (or you can use chicken tenders)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder (optional for added flavour)
- 1 tsp paprika powder (optional for a bit of colour)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tbsp cornflour or cornstarch
- 10-15 samosa/springroll or wonton wraps, cut into long and very thin strips
Marinate the chicken with salt, pepper, chilli, ginger, garlic, paprika, soy sauce and lemon juice for at least 2-3 hours. This is to ensure the chicken remains moist and tender.
After the chicken has marinated sufficiently, add the cornflour and beaten egg to it and mix well to ensure every piece of chicken is well coated with the batter that forms. This is what will help the ‘threads’ to stick to each piece of chicken. Now wrap each chicken strip with the threads. Set aside on a plate while you heat up some oil.
Deep fry over medium heat until the threads are golden and the chicken is cooked through. This should take roughly 3-4 minutes per batch, do not crowd the oil and do not be tempted to over-cook as that will naturally toughen the chicken.
Remove on to paper towels to drain away any excess oil. Serve hot and crunchy with a dip of your choice.
Looks so cute. Can you actually make this and keep it in the freezer? Thx
Yes you can.