Servings : Serves 4-5
These cute little bite-sized chicken lollies are easy to prepare and perfect for kiddie parties or lunch boxes. They also are great as appetisers, served over a bed of finely chopped salad and with a dip of your choice.
- 500 gm boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (if you want this mild, reduce or omit the chilli)
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 tsp milk
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (use ketchup for mild flavour)
- 1-2 cups breadcrumbs (seasoned with a pinch or two of dried herbs of your choice)
- toothpicks, as needed
- oil for deep frying
Clean and cut the boneless chicken into cubes. Mix all the other ingredients in a deep bowl and then add the chicken and mix to ensure every piece is well-coated. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
When ready to fry, make sure to remove and drain the chicken at least half an hour before you begin cooking so that it comes to room temperature.
Beat the egg with the milk and hot/chilli sauce (or ketchup for a milder version) in a small bowl. Pour the breadcrumbs into a plate and season them with a pinch of salt and pepper plus some dried oregano or parsley.
Poke a toothpick into each cube of chicken, roll it first in the egg and then the breadcrumbs.
Fry on medium heat until golden and crispy, around 4-5 minutes. Remove and drain any excess oil on paper towels. Serve with a dip of your choice.