Servings : Serves 4-5
Tender bite sized cubes of fish, coated in a thick spicy batter and then deep fried. Resulting in the crispiest and most delicious morsels of fish imaginable. These go beautifully with any dip of choice, and make for a perfect starter or midday snack. You can as well tuck these in a wrap along with some freshly chopped salad, yum!
- 500gm fish fillet, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp gram flour/besan
- 2 tbsp plain/all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp. chilli powder or chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder or coriander powder
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp water, or as needed
- oil for frying
Clean and dry the fish pieces and set aside. In a bowl, mix all the other ingredients except the oil. Add the water a tbsp at a time to form a very thick batter. Add the fish pieces in and mix well until each piece is completely coated with the batter. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Heat oil in pan, then drop in the battered fish without overcrowding the pan. Fry until golden and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes. Remove onto kitchen towels to blot out excess oil. Serve with slices of lemon and a dip of your choice.