Servings : Serves 4
A very simple 'east meets west' chicken recipe, of mayonnaise-based creamy chicken that has been infused with Indian spices. The dish is more of a chicken salad and can be used to either fill sandwiches or served over rice.
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped or shredded into large chunks (either boiled, roasted or steamed)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp plain thick or greek yoghurt (optional, can be substituted with cream)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder (combination of turmeric, cumin and coriander powders)
- 10 cashewnuts or peeled almonds, lightly roasted and roughly chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and stir-fry until softened. Stir in the curry powder and cook for a few seconds. Next add the cooked chicken, mango chutney, red chilli and lemon juice. Season with a little salt and pepper, then stir over medium heat for a couple of minutes just to infuse all the flavours into the cooked chicken. Turn off the heat and allow the chicken to cool completely.
Mix in the mayonnaise and fresh coriander, chopped nuts and raisins then give it a taste. Adjust spice/seasoning if need be.
Serve with some fresh salad, in a sandwich or over plain rice.