Servings : Makes 10-12
These are a quick fix kind of kabab/cutlet which tastes amazing on its own or in a wrap. A perfect starter to any meal, can be served with ketchup or any spicy dip/chutney.
- 250 gm chicken breast, cubed and boiled
- 3 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp. oil or butter
- 3 tbsp. chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint (optional)
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp. garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli flakes (for extra spice, optional)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper powder
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 egg, for coating
- breadcrumbs, for coating
- oil for frying
Boil the chicken cubes and then shred. Set aside.
Heat the 1 tsp oil or butter in a pan and then saute/fry the onions until they are soft but NOT golden. We just need to sweat them slightly. Add the ginger and garlic pastes, stir them in for a few seconds then turn off the heat. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
Put the mashed potatoes in a bowl, add the shredded chicken, softened onions/garlic/ginger mixture, coriander, mint, chillies, salt, lemon and all the remaining spices. Mix everything well and give it a taste. Adjust salt/spice or lemon if needed.
Shape round flattened patties out of the mixture. Dip each one in some beaten egg then in breadcrumbs. Shallow fry on both sides until golden and crispy.
You can omit the breadcrumbs, I normally prefer adding that layer for a nice crunchy crust.
Drain onto kitchen towels and serve with a dip and some lemon/lime slices.