Servings : Makes 2 cups
Pangritata is also known as 'poor man's parmesan'. It is a quick, easy and cheap way of turning stale leftover bread into fragrant crispy flavourful crumbs that can be sprinkled over simple pasta dishes or roasted veggies.
- 200gm any leftover bread of your choice
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, mashed or finely minced
- handful of fresh coriander or 1 tsp dried herbs of your choice
- 1-2 dried red chillies or some chilli flakes (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Put everything into a food processor and process until well combined and the bread is shredded into fine crumbs.
Heat a skillet or frying pan. Drizzle a touch of olive oil. Add the crumbs and stir over low heat until very crispy and golden. Allow to cool and store to sprinkle over your pasta dishes for an added texture and flavour.