Servings : Serves 6-8
An easy yet delicious sweet dish, perfect for all occasions and best served warm but can be had cold too.
- 1 kg carrots, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 tin evaporated milk + 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup milk with a few strands of saffron dissolved in it for boiling the carrots
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
- 3 heaped tbsp. butter or ghee
- 1 tbsp. oil
- flaked or crushed almonds/pistachios for garnishing
Boil the carrot pieces in the quarter cup of milk and saffron for 10 minutes, then grind in a food processor.
Heat your pan and add the butter/ghee plus the oil, then add the crushed carrots and fry on medium heat for about 5minutes.
Lower the heat and fry the mixture until it starts getting dry and begins to stick to the bottom of the pan. You have to keep on stirring.
When it’s quite dry and has started releasing some of the oil, add the sugar and cardamom. Keep on stirring and cooking on low heat until the sugar dissolves. Then add the evaporated milk and the half cup of milk and cook for about 5 more minutes or until all the excess moisture dries out.
Switch off and serve, garnished with nuts.