Servings : Serves 4-6
The rick semolina sweet dish is a firm favourite in many desi households. It is normally served as a sweet starter for special meals, or enjoyed as part of a halwa poori cholay breakfast.
- 1 cup fine sooji/semolina
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup ghee or butter (you can opt to use up to half this amount)
- 1 can or 2 cups evaporated milk (you can use whole milk instead)
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom powder
- pinch of color and/or saffron (optional))
- crushed or flaked nuts for garnishing
Heat ghee/butter in a pan, add the semolina and fry on low heat until colour starts to change and it gives a lovely nutty aroma. You should keep stirring often so the colour is even. In the meantime, pour the milk and sugar, saffron and/or food colour into a blender and blend until well combined.
Once the semolina is golden, slowly add the blended milk/sugar mixture a little at a time. Be careful not to pour it all at once because it will splutter. Once all the milk is in the semolina, keep stirring and let it cook until most of the moisture is gone. Add the cardamom powder, mix it in, then cover and set on low heat to steam for 5 minutes. Garnish with nuts before serving.