Jeera (Cumin) Chicken with white rice.
A spicy, flavourful and aromatic chicken recipe, easy to prepare and with finger-licking results.
For the Chicken
1. Chop the onions finely
2. Cut the green chillies into half
3. Pour oil in a large non-stick pan and warm. Add the chillies.
4. Add the cumin seeds, cinnamon, black pepper and cloves and let them splutter
5. Add the chopped onions and sauté until the onions are caramelized and dark brown
6. Now add the chicken pieces and increase the heat and stir-fry until the chicken turns a light brown
7. Add the crushed garlic and ginger and keep stirring for a couple more minutes
8. Add salt, turmeric, coriander-cumin powder.
9. Continue stirring and finally reduce the heat to medium and add the yoghurt.
10. Cover the pan and let it cook/simmer gently for at least 30 min on low heat or until the chicken is nicely done.
For the Rice
Soak a cup or two of long grain rice for about 30 minutes.
Fill a big and deep pan with water, add salt, a tbsp. of oil (helps keep the grains of rice separate), juice of half a lemon (bleaches the rice so that it's extra white) and a stick of cinnamon (for its aroma).
Bring to a brisk boil.
Drain your rice and add it to the boiling water. Stir regularly to make sure all the rice is cooked evenly but use a slender wooden spoon to prevent breaking the rice.
Boil steadily until the rice turns slightly tender. Drain the water and discard the cinnamon stick. Sprinkle some cold water over the rice whilst it's still on the strainer to help keep the grains separate. Pour the rice back into the pan and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Bake in a hot oven for about 10mins.
Serve with the chicken and enjoy!